But First…

Hi there! I hope you all are having a fabulous week. So close to Christmas… yikes!

BUT! I have some non-Christmas related projects to share with you today. I hope that’s okay. 🙂 I didn’t receive my “but first” dies in time for last week’s release, so when I did receive them, I jumped at the chance to play with them. Isn’t this font just stunning?

I’ve always been a fan of flowers arranged in teacups. I have several antique milk glass teacups and saucers, and I’ve used them as containers for floral arrangements for several events. I decided to use those floral arrangements as the inspiration for today’s projects.

The Ton But First card detailwm

For my first project, I did a bit of no-line coloring. The teacup, from Tea Party, was stamped in a pale gray ink on some watercolor paper. I then used my Zig Clean Color markers to add color to the edges of my teacup, then moved it around with a paintbrush and water to add shading. I added some silver Wink of Stella to the handle and base of the cup.

The Ton But First cardwm

My next step was the flowers. I stamped that gorgeous, incredibly versatile Rose Terrace background onto watercolor paper using that same pale gray ink. (Don’t you just love all of the techniques you can use with that one stamp??) I then used those pale images on one of the floral clusters as a guide for my watercoloring. I used a deep magenta and dark purple for my shading on the roses, with a dark emerald green and lighter green for the leaves. After they had dried, I fussy cut them, cutting each flower and bit of greenery out individually in order to “arrange” the flowers in my teacup. I die cut the beautiful “But First” sentiment from some pink glitter paper. To add a little patterned interest to the background, I added a sheet of polka dotted vellum at an angle, adhered the sentiment and floral “arrangement,” and decided to add a few sequins (Glass Slippers, Don’t Wait on Me, and Precious Pink) to add some more sparkle. The flowers are far from perfectly colored and shaded, but I rather like the kind of artsy feel the imperfections lend to the card.

My next card is similar in concept to the first, as I was still inspired to use the teacup as a vase, but this time I created a shaker card using one of the new Couture Mixes, as well as an older floral set: Wild Peonies. To start, I stamped both the teacup and the florals in Plum Archival ink onto some watercolor paper, die cut them, and watercolored in a few shades of pink using my Zig markers. The shaker itself was created by die cutting an oval into a rose gold “mercury glass” A2 sized panel, then adhering a piece of acetate behind it. Next, the sentiment was die cut from some lovely cocoa brown glitter paper and adhered to the front of the shaker.

The Ton But First Shaker card detailwm

To create the panel behind the shaker, I merely scribbled some of the Zig markers onto an A2 sized watercolor panel, then muddled them together with a wet paintbrush. I then created a mixture of coordinating sequins, beads, and flora sequins to make the “shake” in the shaker. I started with the Garden At Dusk Couture Sequins Mix as my base. I then added Metallic Taupe Mini Flora sequins, Pink Pearl Flora sequins, and Hazelnut Mousse seed beads.

The Ton But First shaker cardwm

Well, that’s all for me today! I hope you enjoyed these projects as much as I enjoyed creating them. Happy holidays, friends!

4 thoughts on “But First…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s